ECO grants — the benefits
ECO grants (Energy Company Obligation grants) are available to help people fund energy efficiency improvements in their homes.
Through this government backed scheme the big energy suppliers — British Gas, EDF Energy, E.ON, nPower, Scottish Power, SSE, First Utility, Ovo Energy and Co-Operative Energy — set aside funds for householders to make improvements such as installing insulation or replacing an old boiler.
ECO grants aim to cut energy waste throughout the UK while reducing carbon emissions. They can also reduce fuel bills for people who are finding it hard to pay for heating. Contact us for a home energy assessment and find out about applying for ECO grants and funding.
ECO provides two grants, CERO and HHCRO.
Every UK household can currently apply for a grant under CERO (Carbon Emissions Reduction Obligation). It could fund the cost of new loft insulation and cavity wall insulation.
This part of ECO is likely to change from August 2018, so book your home assessment as soon as possible if you want to take advantage of free or part-funded insulation.close
Could you qualify for HHCRO?
You could be eligible to apply if:
You live in a property that is owned or rented privately. Council or Housing Association properties are not eligible
|AND||the existing boiler has an efficiency of less than 86%|
|AND||is heated by an Oil or LPG boiler or electric storage heaters|
|AND||you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit, which can include:
Child tax credit - please note this will be subject to income thresholds set by Ofgem
Income-related employment and support allowance
|AND||receiving a work-related activity or support component|
|or||is responsible for a qualifying child|
|or||is in receipt of a qualifying component
is receiving Income-Based job seeker's allowance and
|or||receives a qualifying component
is receiving Guaranteed State Pension Credit
- ECO (Energy Company Obligation) is a UK-wide government programme which aims to make energy efficiency improvements more affordable (and in some cases, free) for householders.
- ECO is funded by the big energy suppliers – British Gas, EDF Energy, E.ON, nPower, Scottish Power, SSE, First Utility, Ovo Energy and Co-Operative Energy as part of their commitment to reduce energy waste, cut UK carbon emissions and warm up homes for vulnerable people.
- CERO grants are available under ECO to all homes in the UK. CERO can provide part-funded or free home insulation to help reduce carbon emissions. Improvements covered usually include loft insulation and cavity wall insulation, plus solid wall insulation (both internal and external).
- HHCRO grants are available under ECO for low income and vulnerable people living in homes that are owned or rented privately. HHCRO can improve the household’s energy efficiency with improvements such as loft insulation and cavity wall insulation, plus solid wall insulation (both internal and external). It can also replace inefficient boilers and Electric Storage Heaters.
Under CERO (all UK households) the energy efficiency improvements that could be funded include:
- Cavity wall insulation
- Loft insulation (including top ups)
- Solid wall insulation